Ala Moana Beach Park
Calm, clear blue waters await you at Ala Moana Beach Park, which is protected by an outer reef. As one of Downtown Honolulus most prized and conveniently located beachesthe park is just outside Waikiki Beach and across the street from the Ala Moana Shopping Centerthe Ala Moana Beach Park is the place to go when you need a break from the tropical city life. Here, youll find 76 acres of gorgeous white sands and grassy, palm tree-laden parks. Magic Island (Aina Moana) anchors the southeast side of the beach park, where picnic dwellers, fisherman, avid joggers and wedding photographers gather daily. Ala Moana Beach Park also features the perfect pathway, running along the beach for nearly one mile. Just across the street is Hawaii’s largest mall, Ala Moana Center. It’s actually the largest outdoor mall in the world! Spend a day at AlaMoana Beach Park and head acroos the street for some shopping, a live hula performance, or a bite to eat!
Ala Moana Beach Park is a man-made public park, created by the owner of the Dillingham Dredging Company. In the 1950s, the company needed a place to dispose of dredged sand and earth. The earth was dumped here, thus creating a beach.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Oahu
- Amenities: Bathrooms, parking, lifeguards, picnic area and tables, showers, tennis courts, McCoy Pavilion.
- Insider Tip: This one of the best spots in Honolulu to watch the sunset over the horizon.
- Fun Fact: Ala Moana Beach Park is also known as the Path to the Sea. When youre here, youll understand why!
- What to Expect: Locals and tourists enjoying the sun and water, stand up paddlers, runners and joggers, just-married couples at Magic Island, bicyclists, fishermen, snorkelers and more.
- Pop Culture: Waiola Shave Ice set up a makeshift version, created specifically for an episode of Hawaii 5-0.
- Map Link: loadEmbeds();