While many people call this small island Chinamans Hat for its shape, the islands true name is Mokolii, Hawaiian for little lizard. Location near Kualoa Ranch and Tropical Farms, Chinaman’s Hat is also said to resemble a sharks fin. Once connected to Oahu, Mokolii became an offshore island after erosion separated it from Oahu. Accessible by kayak, the island has shore depths of only four feet on the west side (facing inland).
Hawaiian legends says that Hi’iaka, sister of the Goddess of Fire Pele, created Mokoli’i by hunting a dangerous dragon and placing his enormous fins in the ocean as a landmark. She used the dragons body in the lowlands below the mountains to provide room for the pathway that runs around that edge of Oahu, which is now a paved roadway.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Oahu
- Duration: This is a drive-by location.
- Amenities: No amenities for drive-by locations.
- Insider Tip: Impress your friends (and your tour guide) with knowing islands true name, Mokolii!
- Fun Fact: The hike to the summit is 206-feet, but its a challenging trek only experienced climbers should attempt.
- What to Expect: Kualoa Regional Beach Park and Kualoa Ranch, nearby.
- Pop Culture: Adam Sandlers movie 50 First Dates features shots of MokoliI several times.
- Map Link: loadEmbeds();