Waiola Shave Ice
About Waiola Shave Ice
Think you need to drive all the way to the North Shore for no ka oi shave ice? Think again: Waiola Shave Ice has been a shave ice staple in Downtown Honolulu since 1940.
Locals favorite flavors include combos like strawberry cream and lychee, Melona and calpico, lilikoi and lycheebut the possibilities are endless with over 30 flavors to choose from! Plus, you can add toppings like condensed milk, ice cream, mocha balls, li hing mui sauce, and Hersheys chocolate.
Dont have enough time to leave the city? Skip the trip to Oahu’s North Shore Beaches or Haleiwa Town and hit Waiola Street for Honolulus favorite local shave ice storefront.
Opened in 1940, Waiola Shave Ice is a family owned and operated business. With two shop locations in Honolulu (one on Waiola Street, the other on Mokihana Street just off Kapahulu Avenue), the business continues to satisfy ones shave ice sweet tooth some 70 years since its beginning.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Oahu
- Amenities: Souvenirs, Waiola Shave Ice branded clothing and gifts, shave ice, candy, groceries.
- Insider Tip: The employees are strict about how you order, so follow these steps: 1. State your size 2. Choose your Toppings and Goodies (the stuff underneath, like ice-cream or azuki beans) 3. Choose your Flavors.
- Fun Fact: Waiola sells an X-Large and a Jumbo Bowlnearly twice as expensive as the X-Large! Share it with a friend or two.
- What to Expect: Hungry locals and bewildered tourists waiting in line, all thinking Which flavors should I get?
- Pop Culture: A temporary Waiola Shave Ice location was created at Ala Moana Beach Park for the filming of a Hawaii 5-0 episode in 2010.