Volcanoes Golf & Country Club
About Volcanoes Golf & Country Club
Enjoy a delicious no-host lunch as you take in the sweeping views of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea mountains. The Volcanoes Golf & Country Club is just a 3-iron away from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, sitting on the rim of Kilauea Crater. At 4,000 ft (1,220 m) above sea level, the Volcano Golf Course is unique to the worldits one of the only golf courses located on an active volcanic crater. With a par of 72, the golf course features 6,503 yards of golf from the longest tees. The course features well-placed pine and ohia trees. In the winter, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa become beautiful snow-capped backdrops. Locals and world travelers love to play volcano golf in Hawaii, its an experience unlike any other! (Photo: chispita_666/Flickr)
Volcanoes Golf Course originally opened in 1922 and saw a course redesign in 1967 by golf architect Jack Snyder. (Synder also redesigned the Kaanapali Kai golf course in Lahaina, Maui, in 1976). The Blackshear family, a missionary family from Hilo, founded the volcano golf course, using empty tomato cans for holes in its beginnings.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Big Island
- Duration: 1 hour (lunch stop).
- Amenities: No-host lunch. Drink menu available. Restrooms. Golf pro shop.
- Insider Tip: Higher altitudes make the golf ball travel farther, be sure to club down when teeing off.
- Fun Fact: This is oldest golf course on the Big Islandit opened in 1922 with just one hole!
- What to Expect: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park close by; Pine and Ohia Lehua trees; Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa