About Rainbow Falls
Also known as Waianuenue Falls, Rainbow Falls is one of the Big Islands most popular waterfalls. Cascading 80 feet downand over an ancient Hawaiian caveRainbow Falls is at its best when the sun hits the misty waters in the early morning, when mists rise up from the pool below. A parking area and scenic overlook make it easy to witness the beauty of these falls, located in Wailuku River State Park. (Photo: chadh/Flickr)
Hawaiian legend states that the cave beneath Rainbow Falls was the home of Hina, mother of the demigod Maui.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Big Island
- Duration: 10-15 minute stop when time permits.
- Amenities: Restrooms available.
- Insider Tip: Rainbows come to life when sunrays hit the misty air at just the right angle!
- Fun Fact: The waterfall flows into a series of pools called Boiling Pots.
- What to Expect: Rainbows when the conditions are right at this majestic waterfall in Wailuku River State Park.