Pa’ia Town and Beach
About Pa’ia Town and Beach
For many, Paia Town and Beach is the starting point for an adventure on the Road to Hana. thats exactly why the Hana Highway was originally built, for the daily commute of sugarcane workers from Paia to Hana Town. The population of about 3,000 people is sometimes called the World Capital of Windsurfing since its located close to Hookipa Beach. (Photo: ClatieK/Flickr)
Once a town heavily influenced by the sugar mill industry and still features plantation style buildings, Paia now caters to the influx of surfers and tourists who come to the town for its international charm, small independent shops, healthy surfing lifestyle and great restaurants.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Maui
- Duration: This is a drive-by location.
- Insider Tip: Browse the streets for a shoppers paradise, then head to the beach for more fun!
- Fun Fact: Paia is just minutes from the worlds best windsurfing at Hookipa Beach.
- What to Expect: Many surf shops, craft stores, and plantation style buildings.
- Pop Culture: Willie Nelson frequents Charley's Restaurant and Saloon when he visits the island.