Matsumoto’s Shave Ice
About Matsumoto’s Shave Ice
One of Oahus most popular shave ice shops, Matsumotos Shave Ice serves colorful, cool Hawaiian treats to nearly one thousand people every day. Stop by the M. Matsumoto Grocery Store in the heart of Haleiwa Town for a syrupy delight some people call snow cones. Youll find groups of people slurping shave ice on the sidewalks outside on any given day. Walk indoors and youll see a menu with a near innumerable amount of flavors (okay, theres about 40) to choose from. Shave ice is best after a day at the beach!
Opened in 1951, the M. Matsumoto Grocery Store didnt feature shave ice at first. But in the 1960s, store owners Mamoru and Helen Momoyo Matsumoto welcomed three children to their livesand they needed to expand their business to support their growing family. Delicious homemade syrup and the perfect location helped Matsumotos attract carloads of racing enthusiasts and waves of surfers to the shop. Matsumotos has remained a favorite for locals and visitors ever since.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Oahu
- Amenities: Groceries, souvenirs, clothing, gifts, lots of shave ice, snacks, beach goods.
- Insider Tip: If you dont know which flavors to choose, try one of the combinations like The Rainbow.
- Fun Fact: Try the azuki beans---a sweet, red bean treat thats added under your shave ice. Its a nod to the owners Japanese roots!
- What to Expect: Colorful flavors of all kinds. Benches filled with happy, syrup slurping customers. Local musicians jamming outside. Tons of Matsumoto-branded materials like shirts and mugs. Beautiful Haleiwa Town.
- Pop Culture: Youll find snapshots of celebrities like Tom Hanks, Konishiki, and many others who enjoy Matsumotos Shave Ice.