About Kuhio Bay
In Hilo Town on the Big Island of Hawaii is Kuhio Bay, connected to Hilo Bay, offers views of Coconut Island, an offshore island also known as Moku Ola. The bay also features one of Hawaiis largestand most accessibleblack sand beaches! Nearby is Banyan Drive and the Queen Liliuokalani Gardens. (Photo: justin.donnelly/Flickr)
Two tsunamis devastated the town of Hilo in the 20th century. In 1946, a tsunami was triggered by an Aleutian Island earthquake, and the other, in 1960, hit Hawaii after an earthquake disrupted Chile, South America.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Big Island
- Duration: This is a drive-by location only.
- Amenities: No amenities at this location.
- Insider Tip: Nearby Liliuokalani Gardens offers an equally peaceful site to enjoy paradise from.
- Fun Fact: Wave breakers were built after the tsunamis to prevent large waves from entering the bay and hitting the shoreline.
- What to Expect: Hilo Town; Hilo Bay; Liliuokalani Gardens