About Kaupo Store
What makes a general store truly Hawaiian? For one, store hours are subject to Hawaiian Time. Take a much needed break along the Hana Highway and refresh with cold drinks, snacks and Hawaiian crafts. After all, this is one of the only stores on Mauis southern shore! Kaupo Store also offers an impressive collection of antique cameras as a dedication to a photographer named Nick Soon, who constructed the building almost a century ago. (Photo: Todd Huffman/Flickr)
Chinese Hawaiian resident Nick Soon, a photographer by trade, built the Kaupo Store in 1925 from salt water-soaked lumber that had drifted over the open ocean to Kaupo Landing. Soons camera collection can be seen at the store, now run by Linda Domen and her family. Domen met Soon in 1970 while hiking nearby along the slopes of Haleakala. When Soon passed away shortly after, Domen had just purchased a home close to the Kaupo Storeso they took over business and turned it into a snack shop for tourists after a long stint selling livestock feed and farming goods.
Facts & Trivia
- Island: Maui
- Duration: About 10-15 minutes.
- Amenities: Restroom, food and drink, gift shop.
- Insider Tip: Cash only. Store hours can vary (and often), its on Hawaiian Time!
- Fun Fact: Dont be surprised to see horses hitched outside the store; many locals prefer horseback riding as a mode of transportation.
- What to Expect: South Maui Coasline, Nick Soon Museum (inside store), Rural Maui town of Kaupo